While many politicians articulate a politically – correct message, claiming their support for environmental protections, including clean air and water, few seem to have any sort of viable plan, rather than mere, empty promises, and rhetoric. Former New York City Mayor, Mike Bloomberg, who is also, is, the United Nations Special Envoy for climate change (for several years), is an exception. He’s a politician and billionaire, who consistently puts his money, where his mouth is, donating hundreds of millions of dollars, to environmental causes. His recent, major donation, to Beyond Carbon, as well as his visionary support to the ideals of the Paris Accords, differentiate him, from the rest – of – the – pack. Unfortunately, President Donald Trump, not only, often, denies, climate change, but has eliminated many of the previous protections, which were, at least, a step, in the right direction. The reality is, there is no time for procrastination, on this issue, because, either we begin, to take the risks, seriously, and pay attention to CLIMATE issues, or we will put the well – being of future generations, at – risk. With that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, review, examine, and discuss, using the mnemonic approach, what this means, and why it’s such an important issue.
1. Clean (air and water); character: How much attention, we begin to pay, to clean air and water, will determine, the future character, of, our nation, and the Earth! Instead of doing, what is needed and necessary, the current occupant of the White House, has gone, in the other direction, and permitted dumping sludge, and other by – products, into rivers and streams, especially in coal – mining regions, and indicated, he will reduce the goals of automobile gas mileage, and emissions!
2. Leadership; limits/ limitations: Now, more than ever, this nation needs leadership, instead of the same – old, same – old, procrastination! This will be a step – by – step, process, which requires limits, and limitations, on an interim basis, to arrive at the end – goals!
3. Ideas; ideology; innovate; imagination: Our leaders must proceed, towards the ideology, which focuses on the sustainability of our planet! Instead of denying, or procrastinating, we need pubic officials, with the willingness to introduce meaningful ideas, based on a quality, well – considered, imagination, focused on innovating, and making a relevant, sustainable, difference, for the better!
4. Meaningful; motivate: Leadership, on these issues, means articulating a meaningful message, strategy, and action plan, which will be, both, both, effective, as well as motivate others, to take this threat seriously!
5. Attitude; atmosphere; air: By possessing a true, positive, can – do, attitude, and addressing issues, related to the air quality, and overall, environment atmosphere (including water, etc), one will show, the needed priorities, which will make the next generation, safer, and more secure, in this area!
6. Timely: There’s no room for procrastination, but, rather, leaders must proceed, in a well – considered, timely manner!
7. Environment; economic: It makes sound, relevant, longer – term, economic sense, to pay attention to environmental issues, now, and witness, a better, healthier, tomorrow!
Wake up, America, and demand timely action, and sustainable attention, to environmental/ CLIMATE issues, today, or, we will owe future generations, far more than an apology, for our neglect! If we don’t act soon, it may be too late!