If you are like most of us, I’m sure, you have noticed, every election cycle, candidates attempt to over – simplify issues, apparently seeking a black – and – white choice, when, often, some degree of grey, may be the most viable, effective option! Whether you consider yourself a conservative, moderate – conservative, moderate, moderate – progressive, liberal, Republican, Democrat, or anything else, this should be apparent. Too often, politicians, either, under – estimate, or believe, the intelligence of their constituents, is somewhat questionable! When, we are given, an all – or – none, choice/ option, politically, it would be wise to beware! With that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, review, examine, and discuss, 5 examples, when this does not make a difference, for the better, in our American experience.
1. Israel/ Judaism/ anti – Semitism: The Jewish religion, and the experience, of we, Jews, is often, a complex one! There is no, one – size – fits – all, tradition, and, there are four major components, for observing, including Orthodox, Conservative, Reformed/ Liberal, and Reconstructionist. Therefore, when any public official, states, every Jew should behave and vote, in any specific manner, is below – contempt! One can have a strong identity, yet, support Israel, in different ways! Like many other issues, one’s religion, doesn’t mean, blindly supporting any political solution, action, or politician, whether in this nation, Israel or anywhere else! Proclaiming, he is a champion, to the Jewish people, does not make, President Trump, actually so, or deserving of universal support, regardless of any other issues, and his rhetoric, vitriol, and actions!
2. Islam/ Muslims: Many politicians have tried to mobilize political support, by scape – goating specific ethnic groups, and appealing to the hatred, fears, and biases/ prejudices, of any so – called, political base! Islam is the largest religion in the world, yet, the actions of a very small minority, has permitted, despicable politicians, to proceed, with this negative appeal, and mind – set!
3. Southern Border/ Border Security: Although, almost nobody, opposes quality, necessary, border security, this President, has, used the image, and symbol, of a Southern Wall, his personal, political weapon, to attract his core supporters. While, most security experts, have proclaimed, this barrier, is an ineffective, costly, unworkable, unrealistic approach, Trump has continued equating support for the wall, with border security. He ties this message, into his apparent, anti – immigration message, often, appearing to make up facts, to attempt to articulate his case!
4. Support President, versus Patriotism: Patriotism has nothing to do, with supporting any particular public official, policy, and/ or, action, yet, President Trump, has often tried, to equate supporting his, to being patriotic! In fact, historically, true patriots have, often, opposed certain political leaders, and/ or, public policies. Supporting an official, and love for country, are far different entities!
5. Socialist, versus capitalist: Aren’t you tired of, the politics of, blaming and complaining, distorting, and lying? It’s wrong, when so – called, conservatives refer to any government program, they oppose, as socialist, and, also when progressives, use capitalism, as a symbol, of all, that’s wrong! We have witnessed hypocrisy, and empty rhetoric, when it comes to these matters, when a so – called, conservative, supports extreme deficit spending!
The best approach, and decisions, are often, not, black – and – white! We need public leaders, who, proceed, towards a meeting – of – the – minds, for the common good, using progressive idealism!